A deliciously warm & hearty soup perfect for the cooler weather. You can even utilise leftovers with this soup, and make enough to last a few days! Trust me, this recipe will become a family favourite really quickly... well it sure has with mine anyway!
● 4-6 Lamb shanks (Alternatively use pre-cooked lamb
roast to make this soup quicker).
● 2 carrots - diced
● 3 stalks celery - diced
● 2 potatoes - diced
● 1 Leek - sliced
● 1 cup pearl barley
● 4L water or lamb bone broth.
● Fry off the leek & brown the lamb shanks. Add the water or bone broth.Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 hr. (Alternatively you can use pre-made lamb bone broth and leftover roast lamb, so no need to simmer for the hour, just bring to the boil for 10 minutes).
● After simmering for an hour, pull out the lamb, and chop off the bone, & dice into small pieces.
● Add the meat back to the pot, along with the vegetables & barley. Simmer for an hour. Top up with more water/bone broth if required.
● Soup is cooked when the vegetables are tender, and the barley is soft & expanded. Serve into bowls and enjoy!
This is a perfect winter meal to share with your family. Equally as great to be enjoyed in your luteal & menstrual phases of your cycle, when your body may be craving more warming & hearty meals.